Saturday, September 3, 2011

I Think I Remember Mrs. Apple

I may have my facts wrong, right down to people's names, but I think I remember Mrs. Apple.  

One day Mrs. Apple was driving her jalopy down the road, her jalopy being defined as something on the order of a Model T, and of course it broke down.  But she wasn't worried, she lived in a nice friendly place and she knew it was only a matter of time before some nice young man would stop and help her.  So she sat down on a small retaining wall in the front of someone's house and ate an apple and waited.   People stopped, but no one could figure out what was wrong with her car, so she just told them thanks and they went on, confident that eventually someone would be able to figure it out.  Well eventually Mr. Brown, a nice young man who drove a delivery truck & wore some kind of uniform, stopped and looked, and he's the one who figured out that Mrs. Apple had run out of gas.  They both laughed and he gave her some gas and they went on their way.

In my life, especially when I first started owning cars, I've had a few occasions where my automobile has decided to strand me on the road somewhere usually due to its advanced age and a lack of money to keep up a proper maintenance routine.  Each time that happened I always thought about Mrs. Apple, and how things never seemed to work out for me like it did for her.  And I wished, for a time at least, that I could have lived in Mrs. Apple's world, where everybody was nice, and everything always turned out fine.

No comments:

Counter