Monday, December 26, 2011

Finished The Icarus Agenda

Sometimes I think I read a book simply because it's long, and I won't have to make a decision on what book to read next for awhile.  Of course I don't have to read a book, as far as that goes, but I've almost always got one going.  For awhile I had an "upstairs" book & a "downstairs" book, but the past few months I've only had the upstairs book, which I generally read in bed.  If they have lots of a pages with small type, like Robert Ludlum's Icarus Agenda, it's going to take me awhile.

I almost always finish the book, even when it requires trudging through.  Like this one.

I suppose this book would be described as a "thriller", no big surprise there.  It is very action oriented, with strong characters doing things most mortals would never dream of.  Strong is not always the same as believable.

Also par for the course is the whole set of assumptions behind the plot.  Its a book about conspiracies.  Not just run of the mill conspiracies, but several unrelated conspiracies by small groups of powerful people to control or influence countries, regions and economies.  And the hero that combats them.  That is essentially what the book is about, for pretty close to 700 pages.

Now where have I come across this plot line before?  Pretty much everywhere.   It's been done to death, and it had been done to death by 1987, when this book was written.

Anyway, I suspended disbelief for awhile and read the book. That's about all I can say about it.


3 comments:

Patti Anne said...

With that stunning endorsement, I believe I shall put that one on the back burner for awhile. Plus, it's pretty heavy. I don't like heavy books for bed reading.

Bianca Castafiore? said...

oh, lord. i went through a robert ludlum marathon during one year's flu season. after the third one, i felt safe opining that he works from a single plot. shamelessly, too.

since i sacrificed myself for an extended study, spare yourself and read no more ludlum.

what's next?

happy new year to all in valdese!

A Valdese Blogger said...

Patti Anne: Ah c'mon, give it a read.

Bianca: Yes, I think I'll avoid the Ludlum for awhile. Although apparently his death is something of an unsolved mystery.

Happy New Years to you.

Counter