Friday, June 25, 2010

Some Friday Thoughts.

Mostly, this is just to get me writing something, since I've not been in the mood lately.

Once again I mowed grass, once again it rained just afterwards.  I know it is selfish of me to wish for a short drought so the grass won't grow, but still.  Seems like a plot.

Marley the dog came over for a visit.  We let Pickles & Marley run around the field for a few minutes, and they found some charcoal bricketts (don't ask).  Apparently those things are tasty.  Dogs are not the brightest things around.  But they can't help it 'cause they're dumb, bless their little dog hearts.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "fixinto" is my favorite word in the English language, and it immediately identifies what region of the country you come from.  You can tell when something's fixinto happen, especially something bad.

And on that same note, if you are south of the Ohio River and you hear someone say something to the effect of "Hey all y'all, lookee here", my advice is to go in the other direction, quickly.   Chances are the speaker is "fixinto git hisself kilt".

Down on Main Street in beautiful Valdese, North Carolina, a rich guy is building a monument to something, Waldensian related I'm sure, but I suspect, mostly to himself.  I'll have to take a picture sometime.

I like to watch City Confidential for a couple of reasons.  One is that most of the program, while in theory about some horrible crime, is involved with describing the region and culture.  And another is because the narrator always spits out a simile or a metaphor that makes me laugh.  I wait for it.  Two of my favorites:  "He got out of town quicker than a trailer home in a tornado", and just recently, "Mobsters descended on Atlantic City like sea gulls on a trash heap".

This is all I can think of for now.

3 comments:

linlah said...

I'm a big fan of the phrase Hey all ya'all from the very first time I heard it.

A Valdese Blogger said...

linlah: in my experience it frequently means something dangerous is about to happen.

Heather said...

Well as you know I am a big fan of the "Yall" and oh my..I say "fixinto" way to much! LOL!

Dogs sure do eat the weirdest things and sometimes the grossest! But we love them anyway!

"quicker than a trailer home in a tornado" LOVE IT!!

Counter