Monday, February 14, 2011

Reading again

Suddenly I'm doing a lot more reading, pretty much 2 books at a time.  I have a downstairs book and an upstairs book.  I just finished "Feet of Clay" by Terry Pratchett, and I'm fixin' to finish "The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson.  Both books are part of a series, and both have a mystery & action, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. 

Terry Pratchett is kind of fantasy/sci-fi, but more fantasy, with lots of insight, social commentary and wickedly funny in spots.  I'm still laughing about Rogers the bulls who had a very large forehead, meaning each eye had a different view, so he thought he was two animals, so he always refered to himself in the plural, hence Rogers the bulls.  That and Wee Mad Arthur, the rat hunter.  And Detrius the troll breaking up a chair because a doctor needed a stool sample.  And all the heraldry puns.  And Fred Colon's attitude toward "detectoring". 

Stieg Larsson is mystery/action (and also deceased).  He also had very good insight into human behavior, and obviously researched a lot of things.  His plots are much more complicated and involved than Pratchett's, and his characters are much more real.  But then his characters are all human, and many of Pratchett's arent, and there is at least one where people aren't quite sure one way or the other.  Larsson's books are page turners, it's hard to put them down.

So pretty soon I'll be starting on Pratchett's "Jingo", and Larsson's "Hornet's Nest", continuing the series of both authors.  I just have to figure out which one will be my upstairs book, and which one will be my downstairs book.

No comments:

Counter