Thursday, July 24, 2008

Iwo Jima & a lazy afternoon

Today, on Route 70, somewhere between Valdese & Morganton, (North Carolina) I glanced to the left I saw a replica of the Iwo Jima memorial in Arlington, Virginia. There was the flag, and the marines (soldiers?), and it was on a lot of gravel. It was in front of a trailer - I'm not sure if it was a double-wide or not. I don't know what it was made out of, could have been plywood for all I know. Someone took some time with it. I was driving, and tho I did have time to do a double take, I didnt have time look closely. Its a concept, anyway. The Iwo Jima Memorial as yard art.

Next.

I don't know when I became the kind of person who liked to sit on the front porch, lean back, and listen to the birds. Pickles is usually pretty mellow on the front porch, so she just laid at my feet, keeping watch, in case something came around that she felt she needed to bark at. It was a little cooler than it has been recently, and the breeze felt nice, and I almost fell asleep. So what happened?

I'm not sure, but I think I'm 'retired'. Its nothing formal, I just quit the last job I was working at. My only income is from selling stuff online, and I have some small investments. Not near enough to live on in the long run, but I'm still hanging on. I'm no where near retirement age. If I listened to commercials I'd be scared to death. But, since I'm 'retired' in every possible measure, except getting things like pensions or social security or having any kind of real income, I can take the time to sit on the front porch and listen to birds. And note the coolness of a light breeze that just happens to wander by and how good it feels on a hot summer day. And drift off with a dog at my feet. I could never do that while I was working. I'd be too tired, or feel too much pressure, or have to many things I had to get done in what little free time I had just to sit and listen to the birds.

No comments:

Counter