Monday, March 16, 2009

An Old Service Station in Knott County


My uncle ran a service station here for a while back in the 1960s, and lived in the back.  I can remember playing there, and I think quite a lot of characters from the area (its surprising how many people live in the middle of nowhere) hung out there.  It was a good source of illegal fireworks around Christmas time.
-
Later it became the Hindman Monument Company, even though it is several miles out of town.   They made headstones for graves & other cemetery related stuff.
-
Now I just think its abandoned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like old buidlings, especially abandoned ones, but I don't like to go inside them.

Anonymous said...

Look haunted to me.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

It's got a lot of character, though. And, clearly, memories.

Anonymous said...

I love photos of old abandoned buildings. . . ones with a history and a story are even better to see and read about. Love the blog by the way.

A Valdese Blogger said...

MPA - this building now looks like a nice place for snakes to hang out in the summer time.

Martin: There's no telling.

SHG: Yep, lots of memories.

A Valdese Blogger said...

David: Thanks, this building has a history for sure, even a tragedy or two. Glad you like the blog, it's pretty much a blog about nothing in particular.

Counter