Thursday, November 18, 2010

Eye Exam

So yesterday, our little routine was interrupted by driving all the way to Rutherford College (3 - 4 miles, give or take) to get an eye exam.  I had not had an eye exam in many, many years.  I actually had a prescription for glasses back in the '90's, and I managed to lose them after 2 months or so.  I've been using over the counter reading glasses ever since.  I could probably exist on them a while longer, but my distance vision is not near as sharp as it used to be, so I figured it was time to bite the bullet. 

It had been so long since I had an eye exam, I had forgotten what was involved.  I had forgotten about all the drops, dilations and bright lights, all the look heres, look theres, all the "which one is better" questions, which at some point become hard to answer.  Part of the exam reminded me of A Clockwork Orange (oh me droogs) where Alex's eyes are forcibly held open during his violence aversion therapy while he is in prison. 

It was not fun, and that is an understatement.  But I have a really neat pair of paper sun glasses now, and a new pair of glasses coming next week.

No comments:

Counter