Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ford County: Stories

Ford County: Stories, is a book of short stories by John Grisham, and I finished reading it a couple of days ago. 

Some of these stories are 50 or 60 pages long, and to me that's not a short story.  That's a long story.  I'm not sure what the cut off for a short story should be, but after 10 pages, you're pushing it as far as I'm concerned. 

Anyway, these were interesting, & compared to Kafka, very easy stories to read.  Refreshingly easy to read. They were completely linear, and contained no airborne dogs, nobody who turned into a bug, no one who spent their life building a wall.  One of the stories took place over a period of 3 hours or so, others over a period of weeks or months, but they all were linear.  They started out at one point in time, and ended at another point in time, with the end of the stories always later in time than the beginning, and no time was lost anywhere along the way.   Some of the characters were decent people, some maybe not so much, but none of them ever seemed confused about what time it was or how long it was taking for things to occur.  None of them seemed to be out of touch with their surroundings.

The stories had plots that were pretty straight forward.

I wonder how Kafka would have written these stories.  But I'll never know, because a) he didn't, and b) if he had, I probably would not have finished them.

Now I need another book to read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny sometimes - your relationship with poor ole Franz kinda cracks me up.

Karen said...

I am reading a series by James Patterson. They are pretty light yet good enough that I have to Make Myself turn off the light.

A Valdese Blogger said...

Grace: Kafka is frustrating. I'm reasonably intelligent & I keep getting lost in his stories.

Karen: Yep, aint nothing wrong with light stuff, especially if its a good story. Thanks for the comment.

Heather said...

Now those are stories I would probably enjoy. The other guy, not soo much!

Counter